Women United is a network of dynamic women leaders committed to engagement in the community through the works and programs of United Way of the Chattahoochee Valley. Our mission is to mobilize the power of women to advance the common good in our community.
Nationally, Women United affinity groups were founded over a decade ago! From a handful of determined and passionate individuals, this idea has grown into a national network of some 50,000 members in 130 U.S. communities, and is the most successful philanthropic effort of its kind, raising over $1 billion for community programs in the last fourteen years.
(Gift to United Way Annual Campaign)
• Volunteer Opportunities throughout the Year
• Invitation to Community Engagement Lunch & Learns
• Invitation to Power of the Purse
• Membership Event Opportunities throughout the Year
• All Benefits of previous level
• Invitation to Professional Development Lunch & Learn
• Opportunity to serve on a committee
*Includes individuals participating in the Leadership Step-Up Program
• All Benefits of previous levels
• Full Membership
• Opportunity to participate in the decision-making process by serving on Women United Board
• Recognition at all Events throughout the Year
• Invitation to Private Social/Networking events
*Includes individuals participating in the Tocqueville Step- Up Program
• All Benefits of previous levels
• Membership in the National Alexis de Tocqueville Society
Women United Programs- Women Helping Women
Women United is focused on improving the lives of women and girls in the Chattahoochee Valley. This is done through a focus on women-centered volunteer projects and programming. The following are Women United Programs:
Undergarment Program: When Women United was first forming locally, we reached out to United Way Community Partners serving women and asked for a list of needs. On every list were undergarments. This was an immediate need for which Women United members felt they could provide. Out of this need the Undergarment voucher program and the Undergarment Collection at the annually Power of the Purse event were developed. Undergarments are collected once and year and distributed to United Way Community Partners. Undergarment Vouchers are available year-long in Partnership with Goodwill.
Women United Scholarship: The WU Scholarship was established to assist non-traditional female students who have utilized a United Way Community Partner in the pursuit of education with the purpose of improving their employment option. Scholarships are available for 4-year degrees, 2-yer degrees, and certification programs.
Women Helping Women Assistance Fund: A fund distributed through two United Way Community Partners with a focus on aiding female and female-headed households with needs including rent and utility assistance and childcare. Currently, those negatively affected by Coronavirus are also eligible for assistance.
Women United Membership Events
WU hosts several membership activities throughout the year including Lunch & Learns and a Leadership Social (exclusively for Leadership & Tocqueville Women United Members)
Women United Service Projects
WU organizes and participates in several United Way Volunteer Opportunities throughout the year.
The Power of the Purse is Women United’s signature Fundraising event each year. The Power of the Purse brings the women of the Chattahoochee Valley together to celebrate the work of Women United throughout the year and to inspire the women leadership in our community to continue their support of one another.
Women United Scholarship
(For Applicants & Community Partners)
• Applicants should have a proven dedication to achieving goals.
• The applicant should demonstrate a personal desire to achieve success in school and improve her future.
• There are no restrictions on age or criminal background; non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
• The nominee must be currently enrolled or accepted into an educational program before Scholarship Award is paid to the school. Eligible programs include a four-year Bachelor’s Degree program, two-year Associate’s Degree program, or certification program.
• Any background information the agency can provide on applicants who have utilized their programming would be greatly appreciated.
• The Scholarship will not exceed $2,500 per individual.
• Scholarship applicants will be notified of all next steps once their application is received, including if an interview with the Women United Scholarship Committee will be scheduled.
• Applications will be scaled on a rubric to ensure objective decision making.
• Applicants who meet the initial criteria, will be asked to meet virtually with the Scholarship Committee before scholarship is awarded.
• Scholarship recipients will be announced and recognized at the Power of the Purse.
• If Scholarship is awarded for a certification program, dollars awarded will not exceed the cost of the certification.
• Scholarship award will be used for tuition and fees. The award will be paid directly to the school of enrollment.
• Recipients will have the opportunity to reapply for future scholarships if a 2.5 GPA (or higher) is maintained